Simply Business homepage
Call Us(844) 654-7272
Get a QuoteSign In

Blogger Insurance

Blogging Insurance That’s as Strong as Your Writing

Get Your Quote

Simply Business is pleased to provide tailored insurance options from:

  • Accredited America
  • ABIC Insurance
  • Arch Insurance America
  • biBERK Business Insurance
  • Cerity Insurance
  • Clear Blue Insurance
  • CNA Insurance
  • Frank Winston Crum Insurance
  • Harborway Insurance
  • Hiscox Insurance
  • Markel Insurance
  • Preferra Insurance Company RRG
  • RLI Insurance
  • SolePro Insurance
  • Travelers Insurance
  • USG Insurance Services, Inc.

As a professional blogger, you write for a living. So what’s the risk in that? It turns out, there’s quite a bit. Check out this article about freelance writing that goes into some of the risks. And don't forget about the equipment you use to create your written content. If your pricey laptop or camera gets damaged, without insurance, you could be on the hook to pay for a replacement for those items.

That’s why, at Simply Business, we recommend that all professional writers and bloggers purchase various types of blogger insurance depending on your needs. It can protect you if you’re up against a costly claim involving a third party or if your property gets damaged. Remember, it’s easy for a reader to claim they were hurt or threatened by content they read and to pursue legal action against you. Even if the case works out in your favor, you still may have to cover the costs of defending yourself.

The bottom line: As a blogger, you don’t want to get caught in a lawsuit without solid business insurance. Fortunately, Simply Business makes it easy to find affordable insurance for bloggers. We’ll walk you through the process and help you get coverage that makes sense.

All you have to do is pick up the phone or fill out our online quote form. It can take as little as 10 minutes to get affordable blogging insurance coverage — and the peace of mind that comes with it.

Ready to get your policy today? Let’s do it!

Blogger Insurance

Business Insurance FAQs:

What is Business Insurance?

What is General Liability Insurance?

What is Professional Liability Insurance?

More business insurance FAQs

Coverage Types

Small Business Insurance

General Liability Insurance

Professional Liability Insurance

Self-Employed Business Insurance

Here are two types of policies that can be part of your blogger insurance coverage:

  • General liability insurance

Benefits of Blogger Insurance coverages:

  • They can protect your business from certain claims.
  • Some can cover the theft or damage of business property.
  • One or more may be required where you’re located.


What Types of Insurance do Bloggers Need?

Even if you’re not a “big-name writer,” you could get on someone’s radar for a high-dollar lawsuit. Don’t consider it a compliment, either. It’s all too easy for large companies and even readers to sue you for libel, copyright infringement, defamation, and more.

Plus, even if you’re found not guilty, you still have to pay for a lawyer to defend you.

The good news? Insurance for bloggers can be found at an affordable price. We can help you find a policy that can protect your freelance business and offer some peace of mind when writing.

Here are a couple of important policies that we typically recommend to bloggers.

General Liability Insurance

When you think of general liability insurance (GL insurance), you probably think of policies that protect construction workers, general contractors, and workers in accident-prone industries. Well, bloggers can benefit from GL insurance too.

If someone visits your at-home office for an interview and gets injured, you could be at risk for a lawsuit. Plus, there is some legal precedent for holding bloggers accountable when a product they recommend injures a reader. Who would have thought? But it’s all the more reason to consider protecting yourself with General Liability blogging insurance.

In addition, you’re also at risk for libel, defamation, copyright infringement, and much more. Let’s look at a quick example.

Let’s say a food blogger, also known to be a local celebrity, writes a review of Nick’s Nachos, a local Tex-Mex restaurant. Unfortunately, the review isn’t so great. The blogger says the chips were stale and the restaurant was not worth the trip or cost. As a direct result of the review, Nick’s Nachos loses 30% of their annual revenue.

When Nick’s Nachos restaurant owner realizes that the blog post cost him significant business, he sues the blogger for libel.

If you’re a blogger, that example might suggest it’s time to strongly consider securing business insurance as soon as possible.

Here's just one reason why. The cost for reputational harm (e.g. slander or libel) can cost $50,000 on average.

Just imagine paying that out of your own pocket. Could you do it? Most bloggers can’t. And an expense like that might be enough to put the average freelance blogger’s business under water (and much more). But with blogging insurance, you’re covered up to your policy limits.

You can expect most general liability policies for bloggers to cover:

  • Third-party property damage (aka clients or vendors)
  • Third-party bodily injury
  • Medical expenses
  • Personal and advertising injury
  • And more

General liability insurance usually does not cover:

  • Personal property damage
  • Professional services
  • Employee injury and workers compensation
  • Damage to your work
  • Motor vehicles during business use
  • Intentional injury or damage
  • And more

Trust us, it can be worth the extra cost to get peace of mind, and especially worth it if you face a costly lawsuit. In many cases, at Simply Business, we can help you find a strong general liability insurance policy for a blogging business for just $18.62/month.* Not bad, huh?


Business Personal Property Insurance

As a blogger, you likely have a computer, but maybe you have a top-dollar camera too. These items might be crucial to your success. After all, can you imagine writing all of your content with pencil and paper? Forget it.

But computers and digital cameras aren’t meant to live forever. Sometimes accidents happen and they can get damaged, whether it’s by water, coffee, your toddler, or something else. If your lifeline for work (aka your laptop and/or camera) gets seriously damaged while you’re on the job, you’re likely responsible for a replacement, unless you have personal property insurance. If you already have personal property insurance as part of your blogging insurance, you can get reimbursement for your damaged property.

Talk about a breath of fresh air, especially if your business finances have been tight lately. It’s nice to have peace of mind, knowing you’re covered in the event of most accidents.

Why Do I Need Blogging Insurance?

The answer is simple. Blogging insurance can help protect you if you face a general liability claim, involving either an injury or accident, or more likely, a reputational claim. We can help you find a policy with the coverage that fits your needs at an affordable price. When you compare that to the cost of a lawsuit, insurance can be well worth investing in.

Sometimes, you can even write off blogging insurance on your income tax return. As always, it’s best to talk to an accountant before doing so.

In addition, blogging insurance can help you replace damaged property, including a laptop, digital camera, and other property that you use for work, up to your policy’s limits. That’s a nice added benefit.

If you have a customer-facing website, you can showcase that you’re insured too. It can make your customers feel more confident when hiring you. After all, if something happens, they know they may be entitled to compensation for any damage.

Blogging Insurance FAQs

  • In general, it’s not required by law. But the answer depends on where your business is located and if you have employees.

    If you do have employees, you’ll likely need to purchase workers compensation insurance. But, again, the law varies by state, so it’s best to check with your state to find the rules based on where you work.

  • Generally speaking, yes. Blogging insurance is usually a tax-deductible expense. But, as mentioned, it’s always a good idea to check with an accountant or other tax professional before claiming this expense as a deduction.

  • There’s no one-size-fits-all answer here. The amount of coverage you need can depend on:

    • The size of your business
    • Your business’s location
    • Your annual revenue
    • And much more

    Fortunately, our insurance professionals are well-versed in helping bloggers like you. Just fill out our online quote form or give one of our licensed insurance agents a call at 844-654-7272. We can help you understand the amount of coverage that’s best for your business.

  • We want to make getting blogging insurance as easy as possible. To speed up the process, it helps to have this information on-hand:

    • Annual revenue estimates
    • Information on any previous claims

  • The cost of a policy can vary from blogger to blogger. It can depend on a number of factors, but generally speaking, you can expect your insurance costs to be determined by:

    • Your revenue
    • Your payroll
    • Number of employees
    • Your business location
    • The services you provide
    • And more

    Want to get a more detailed quote? Just fill out our online quote form today to find out what several different policies may cost.


Why Choose Simply Business?

We understand that there are a lot of business insurance companies out there. But when you choose Simply Business, we believe you won’t be disappointed. Here are a few reasons why.

We’re fast and affordable. Our policies are fast, affordable, and ready when you are. Say goodbye to stressing about having the right coverage.

We’re flexible with coverage. If you have changes you need to make to your insurance coverage, we’re here to help.

We get your business. Your business is unique, so shouldn’t your insurance policy be too? We understand your small business needs, and we’ll make sure you’re properly covered.

We’re trustworthy and reassuring. No one wants to experience an accident, injury, or lawsuit. But if something does happen to you, we have your back. You can rely on us to cover your costs and help you get back on your feet.

We make it easy to compare free quotes. Insurance doesn’t need to be complex. Our online quote form recommends policies that meet your exact needs.

In today’s world, blogging is an important profession. After all, you’re disseminating information to potentially thousands of people at once. You also have the power to influence people to buy products and services.

Blogger Insurance

Businesses We Insure

Other Businesses We Insure

*Monthly payment calculations (i) do not include initial premium down payment and (ii) may vary by state, insurance provider, and nature of your business. Averages based on July-September 2023 data of 10% of our total policies sold.

Business Insurance
Blogger Insurance


Business InsuranceGeneral Liability InsuranceWorkers Compensation InsuranceProfessional Liability InsuranceErrors & Omissions InsuranceSole Proprietors Workers CompensationCyber InsuranceSelf-Employed Insurance


Contractors InsuranceCleaners InsuranceE-commerce InsuranceHandyman InsuranceHome Improvement Contractor InsuranceLandscaping InsuranceLawn Care InsurancePhotographers Insurance


About usContact UsCareersSite MapInsurance Providers


General BusinessProtect Your BusinessStart Your Business


Simply Business1 Beacon Street, 15th FloorBoston, MA02108


Terms & ConditionsPrivacy PolicyPrivacy Notice for CA ResidentsResponsible Disclosure PolicyDo Not Sell or Share My Personal Information (CA Residents)

*Harborway Insurance policies are underwritten by Spinnaker Insurance Company and reinsured by Munich Re, an A+ (Superior) rated insurance carrier by AM Best. Harborway Insurance is a brand name of Harborway Insurance Agency, LLC, a licensed insurance producer in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. California license #6004217.

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business, LLC is a licensed insurance producer in all U.S. States and the District of Columbia. Simply Business has its registered office at Simply Business, 1 Beacon Street, 15th Floor, Boston, MA, 02108. In California, we operate under the name Simply Business Insurance Agency, LLC, License #0M20593. In Colorado, we operate under the name Simply Business, LLC DBA Simply Business Insurance Agency. In New York, we operate under the name Simply Business Insurance Agency. In Pennsylvania, we operate under the name Simply Business Insurance Agency, LLC. In Texas, we operate under the name, U.S. Simply Business, LLC. For more information, please refer to our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions.