Hamburger icon


  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    By Business

  • Certificate of Insurance
  • Claims
  • Resources

  • Help
Telephone iconCall Us(844) 654-7272
Our opening hours

New Mexico Contractor’s License: A Simple How-To Guide

3-minute read

Emily Thompson

Emily Thompson

3 December 2019

Facebook iconTwitter iconLinkedIn icon

Let’s face it: you’d make a great contractor. You’re handy, driven, and love working with people. So isn’t it time you get your license?

In New Mexico, the process can be a little tricky, and there’s a lot of information out there. That’s why I created this simple how-to guide that’ll get you through the process—quickly and easily.

Ready to get started?

Why Do I Need to Become Licensed Contractor in New Mexico?

If you do any construction, electrical, mechanical, plumbing work, or if you handle liquefied petroleum gas, you need to get a license. In New Mexico, the state is pretty cut and dry—it’s the law. They’re pretty serious about it too. If you get caught working without a license, the state can stop your project and file criminal charges. Yikes!

The good news is getting licensed can benefit both you and your business. Sure, it’s a requirement, but it also can:

  • Help you get bigger projects that pay more. Licensed contractors make a nice salary, especially if they manage large construction sites or work with electrical and plumbing systems. There’s a lot of work for licensed contractors in New Mexico too.
  • Make you appear credible and professional. Some jobs are tough to break into. Fortunately, a contractor isn’t one of them. Once you get your license, homeowners will see you as credible and trustworthy. They’ll know you have the training and experience to do quality work.
  • Protect your business against the unexpected. Applying for a license is a good time to shop for business insurance, including general liability insurance and workers’ compensation (if you have employees). When you register your business, the state will ask you for proof of having workers’ compensation, so you might as well get a plan now.

Business insurance helps protect your employees and property. You don’t want to be unprepared—a sudden accident or loss could impact your livelihood.

Applying for a NM Contractor’s License?

You may need to show proof of business insurance to get your license.

That’s where we come in. Compare free insurance quotes for policies as low as $25.95/month.*

Start Here >

Getting a license is a no-brainer, right? Now let’s cover how you can get one.

Getting a Contractor License in New Mexico: What You Need to Know

First step? Know where to go. The Construction Industries and Manufactured Housing Division (CID) within the New Mexico Regulation & Licensing Department handles licensing, but you can find all forms and information on the PSI website.

To apply, you’ll need:

  • A completed and notarized qualifying party certificate.
  • A notarized work experience verification form.
  • A completed application form.
  • Proof of a CID contractor license code bond.
  • Proof of having workers’ compensation insurance.
  • Proof of financial responsibility.
  • A New Mexico tax ID number from the last year.
  • An application fee payable to PSI (the amount varies based on which license classification you’re applying for).

If your business is a corporation, LLC, or partnership, you’ll also need to register it with the Secretary of State by calling 1-800-477-3632 or visiting 325 Don Gaspar, Suite 300 Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Get Business Insurance

Take a break from filling out forms to shop for business insurance. Becoming a licensed contractor is a big deal, especially if you own your own business and have employees. Make sure you protect your assets by getting general liability insurance and workers’ compensation.

In the construction industry, you never know what can happen. Injuries are commonplace and your equipment supports your livelihood. A good insurance plan will make sure your business is protected in the event of an accident, injury, or loss of property.

Apply to Take the License Exam

When you’re ready, search for an exam site and sign up for a test on the PSI website. To get your license, you’ll need to show records that you passed a business and law course, in addition to any trade-specific exams.

Submit Your Application

Get a big folder and organize your paperwork. Then send your application packet to:

PSI – New Mexico Construction Licensing Services
2820 Broadbent Pkwy NE, Suite E&F
Albuquerque, NM 87107

And that’s it! You’ll hear back from the Construction Industries and Manufactured Housing Division (CID) next.

Start Advertising Your Contractor’s License Status

Already have your license? Nice job! It takes effort to get through the licensing process. Promote your license number on your website, business cards, contracts, and other marketing materials. Remember, this is a huge selling point for homeowners.

If you have a good insurance plan, promote it too. You’ll give homeowners peace of mind, especially if you’re new to the business.

Do you still need a plan? Get a quote today so you can get covered. It’s never too late to protect your business against the unexpected!

Don't forget you may need a business license before getting started, but so check out our guide here!

* Monthly payment calculations (i) do not include initial premium down payment and (ii) may vary by state, insurance provider, and nature of your business. Averages based on January - December 2020 data of 10% of our total policies sold.

Emily Thompson

Written by

Emily Thompson

I earned a B.A. in Journalism from the University of Wisconsin at Madison (go Bucky). After realizing my first job might involve carrying a police scanner at 2 am in pursuit of “newsworthy” crimes, I decided I was better suited for freelance blogging and marketing writing. Since 2010, I’ve owned my freelance writing business, EST Creative. When I’m not penning, doodling ideas, or chatting with clients, you’ll find me hiking with my husband, baby boy, and 2 mischievous mutts.

This content is for general, informational purposes only and is not intended to provide legal, tax, accounting, or financial advice. Please obtain expert advice from industry specific professionals who may better understand your business’s needs. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Facebook icon
Twitter icon
LinkedIn icon

People also liked


Business InsuranceGeneral Liability InsuranceContractors InsuranceCleaners InsuranceHandyman InsuranceHome Improvement Contractor InsuranceJanitorial InsuranceLandscaping InsuranceLawn Care InsurancePainters InsurancePhotographers InsurancePlumbing Contractors InsuranceSelf-Employed Insurance


Simply Business1 Beacon Street, 15th FloorBoston, MA02108


Terms & ConditionsPrivacy PolicyResponsible Disclosure Policy

*Harborway Insurance policies are underwritten by Spinnaker Insurance Company and reinsured by Munich Re, an A+ (Superior) rated reinsurance carrier by A.M. Best. Harborway Insurance is a trade name of Simply Business, Inc., which is a licensed insurance producer in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

© Copyright 2021 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business, Inc. is a licensed insurance producer in all U.S. States and the District of Columbia. Simply Business has its registered office at Simply Business, 1 Beacon Street, 15th Floor, Boston, MA, 02108. In the state of California, we operate under the name Simply Business Insurance Agency, Inc., License #0M20593. In the state of New York we operate under the name Simply Business Insurance Agency. In the state of Texas we operate under the name, U.S. Simply Business, Inc. For more information, please refer to our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions.