• Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    By Business

  • Certificate of Insurance
  • Claims
  • Resources

  • Help
  • Sign In
Call Us(844) 654-7272
Our opening hours

How to Get a Tennessee Contractors License

4-minute read

Contractor using a measuring tape on white sheet rock and marking with a red pencil
Kat Ambrose

Kat Ambrose

2 December 2019

Do you want to become a licensed contractor, handyman, or home renovator in Tennessee, but you’re not exactly sure how to get started?

There’s a lot of information out there on how to apply for your contractor’s license in Tennessee. Where do you start? How much is the application fee? What information do you need to submit to complete your application?

I cover all that and more in this step-by-step guide on everything you need to know about getting your contractor’s license in Tennessee. Follow this guide, and you’ll be a licensed contractor in no time.

What Contractor’s License Should I Apply For?

Home improvement contractor, prime contractor, construction management—what’s the difference between each contractor’s license? Before we jump into the nitty-gritty details of the application process, let’s define what each license covers. That way, when you go to apply, you know exactly what license to pursue.

There are two categories of Tennessee contractor’s licenses:

  • Projects that are under $25,000

  • Projects that are over $25,000

Depending on the nature of the projects you plan to take on, you may need to apply for an additional license. For more information about the license classifications, check out this resource from the Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors.

Projects under $25,000

Home Improvement Contractor: If you want to take on projects like repairs, improvements, or additions for remodeling projects, this license is for you. Keep in mind this license doesn’t allow you to take on plumbing, electrical, or HVAC projects.

Limited Licensed Electrical (LLE): This license is for electrical projects that do not require an inspection.

Limited Licensed Plumber (LLP): Similar to the LLE, this license is for plumbing projects that do not require an inspection.

Projects over $25,000

Prime/General Contractor: If you plan on working with the direct point of contact for the project that falls within the definition of contracting in Tennessee, this is the license you’ll want to look into.

Subcontractor: If you plan on working directly with the prime or general contractor, who is not the owner of the project, doing jobs like plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and roofing, this license is for you.

Construction Management: No matter what, this license is needed for any project valued at $25,000 or more.

Also, it’s important to note that no matter the type of contractor you are, you must indicate the type of work you want to do. You must apply for a license if your work falls under one of the categories:

  • Building
  • Electrical
  • Mechanical
  • Plumbing
  • HVAC
  • Masonry
  • Roofing
  • Highways
  • Environmental
  • Other Specialties

Getting Your Contractor’s License Tennessee: What You Need to Know

Now that you know what the different licenses are, let’s take a look at the requirements are and how to apply.

Take the “Business and Law” Exam

Regardless of the type of license you want to apply for, you must take and pass the Tennessee Business and Law exam. And depending on your trade, you likely will have to apply for an additional license.

The tests are issued through PSI Testing along with other administrative things like scheduling, registration, testing locations, and more. Each exam has a $55 fee.

Prepare your financial statement

Tennessee law requires that all contractor’s license applicants prepare an Audited or Reviewed financial statement through a licensed independent accounting firm.

Reviewed Financial Statements are required for monetary limits of $1,500,000, and Audited Financial Statements are required for monetary limits that exceed $1,500,000. For more information on financial statements, visit the Tennessee Department of Commerce & Insurance website.

Submit a reference letter and proof of insurance

The next step in the application process is to submit a letter of reference. The letter must be from a past client or employer who has direct experience working with you. Or, you could also submit a letter from a code official who has inspected your work.

You also need to provide proof of insurance, specifically general liability insurance based on your monetary limit. You must also provide proof of worker’s compensation insurance as well.

Applying for a TN Contractor’s License?

You may need to show proof of business insurance to get your license.

That’s where we come in. Compare free insurance quotes for policies as low as $25.95/month.*

Start Here >

Register your business with the Tennessee Secretary of State

Nothing says “official” like registering your business with the Secretary of State!

All LLCs, partnerships, and corporations must register their business through the Tennessee Secretary of State. What’s more, all businesses that operate in the state of Tennessee must register for their tax identification numbers as well.

Submit your application and fees

Now it’s time to fill out the application and submit the fee. Make sure you fill out the application completely, and if there are sections you don’t feel apply, provide a detailed explanation.

You’ll be asked to provide information such as:

  • Social security number(s)
  • Contractor’s affidavit
  • Eligibility Verification for Entitlements (EVEA)

Once you’ve completed the entire application, submit the nonrefundable $250 fee to:

Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors
500 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, TN 37243-1150

Once you submit your application, it typically takes roughly three weeks to process. You’ll be notified by email, mail, or fax if an interview is required or if they need extra information.

All licenses are issued for two years. Notices of renewals are mailed 90 days before your license expiration date and are required to be renewed 30 days before the license actually expires. Also, there’s a $200 renewal fee, so don’t forget to submit that as well!

There are two ways you can renew your license:

Online: You must create an account and will need to provide your Indv/Org number, license identification number, email address, and zip code, so make sure you have that on hand.

Mail: You can also fill out a paper application and send it to: Board for Licensing Contractors, 500 James Robertson Parkway, Nashville, TN 37243

You can contact the Tennessee Secretary of State at (615) 741-2286 or check out their website for more information or if you have any questions.

Do you have questions about contractor’s insurance in Tennessee? Our team can help you figure out precisely what you need to ensure you’re up to code. You can also check out our helpful guide on How to Start a Handyman Business.

* Monthly payment calculations (i) do not include initial premium down payment and (ii) may vary by state, insurance provider, and nature of your business. Averages based on January - December 2020 data of 10% of our total policies sold.

Kat Ambrose

Written by

Kat Ambrose

I’m a writer who specializes in creating value-packed blog content for eCommerce and SaaS companies and small businesses. When I'm not writing, I’m probably out running, checking out a thriller novel—or two—from the library, or trying to pet the nearest dog.

This content is for general, informational purposes only and is not intended to provide legal, tax, accounting, or financial advice. Please obtain expert advice from industry specific professionals who may better understand your business’s needs. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.


People also liked

Top 3 Social Channels & Apps for Your Small Business.


Business InsuranceGeneral Liability InsuranceContractors InsuranceCleaners InsuranceHandyman InsuranceHome Improvement Contractor InsuranceJanitorial InsuranceLandscaping InsuranceLawn Care InsurancePainters InsurancePhotographers InsurancePlumbing Contractors InsuranceSelf-Employed Insurance


Simply Business1 Beacon Street, 15th FloorBoston, MA02108


Terms & ConditionsPrivacy PolicyResponsible Disclosure Policy

*Harborway Insurance policies are underwritten by Spinnaker Insurance Company and reinsured by Munich Re, an A+ (Superior) rated insurance carrier by AM Best. Harborway Insurance is a brand name of Harborway Insurance Agency, LLC, a licensed insurance producer in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. California license #6004217.

© Copyright 2021 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business, Inc. is a licensed insurance producer in all U.S. States and the District of Columbia. Simply Business has its registered office at Simply Business, 1 Beacon Street, 15th Floor, Boston, MA, 02108. In the state of California, we operate under the name Simply Business Insurance Agency, Inc., License #0M20593. In the state of New York we operate under the name Simply Business Insurance Agency. In the state of Texas we operate under the name, U.S. Simply Business, Inc. For more information, please refer to our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions.