Hamburger icon


  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    By Business

  • Certificate of Insurance
  • Claims
  • Resources

  • Help
Telephone iconCall Us(844) 654-7272
Our opening hours

How to Get Your Contractor’s License in Mississippi

3-minute read

Emily Thompson

Emily Thompson

27 November 2019

Facebook iconTwitter iconLinkedIn icon

Being a contractor is a great gig. I mean, what other job lets you learn new tools, meet people, and work a flexible schedule? Very few.

If you love construction or handyman work, I’m here to help you get your contractor’s license in Mississippi. There’s a lot of information on the web, and it can be pretty confusing. This guide will help you get through the steps, quickly and easily.

Ready to get started?

Why Do I Need to Become Licensed in Mississippi?

I’m not a fan of paperwork. Who is? And getting your license requires filling out a lot of paperwork. So you might be wondering, is it worth the effort?

Trust me, it is.

In Mississippi, you can earn much more if you’re a licensed contractor. A license opens the doors to commercial and residential projects that are worth over $50,000 in value. Say goodbye to small jobs and hello to big contracting work—and big bucks.

Plus, a license:

  • Tells homeowners you’re trustworthy. It takes time and effort to get the state’s stamp of approval. It shows you’re serious about what you do and you won’t cut corners. As a result, homeowners look for contractors who are licensed. A license shows you have the skills needed to do the job well.
  • Protects your business financially. To get your license, you’ll need to prove you have business insurance, including general liability insurance and workers’ compensation if you have employees. If you haven’t had insurance before, now’s a great time to look for a plan. Business insurance protects you and your employees if there’s an accident, injury, or loss.

Does a license sound like a good idea yet? I hope so. Now, let’s talk about how the process works.

Applying for a MS Contractor’s License?

You may need to show proof of business insurance to get your license.

That’s where we come in. Compare free insurance quotes for policies as low as $25.95/month.*

Start My Quote

Getting a Contractor License in Mississippi: What You Need to Know

Remember, not everyone needs to get licensed with the state. You only need a license if you work on:

  • Commercial projects over $50,000, fire protection systems on public projects that are over $5,000, or private projects over $10,000.
  • Residential projects over $50,000, residential remodeling over $10,000, or residential roofing over $10,000.

Who Doesn’t Need a License?

If you work on smaller jobs, like handyman projects, you don’t need a license at the state level. You also don’t need a license if you do electrical, plumbing, or HVAC work that is less than $10,000.

That being said, many cities and towns in Mississippi require you to get a local license. Call your local municipal department to ask first. You don’t want a hefty fine.

General Requirements for Licensure

First off, the Mississippi State Board of Contractors’ website has a quick video that explains the process and helps answer questions. I suggest watching it first.

Then decide if you’re applying for a commercial or residential license. Remember, the two licenses let you work on different types of projects. To apply for either license, you’ll need:

  • A completed and notarized commercial or residential application form.
  • Proof that your business is registered with the Mississippi Secretary of State’s office (for LLCs and corporations).
  • A sales tax number from the Mississippi Department of Revenue .
  • Proof of general liability insurance with a minimum of $300,000 per occurrence and $600,000 aggregate.
  • Proof of workers’ compensation coverage if you have five employees or more.
  • Three letters of reference, including one from the bank.
  • A description of your work experience and skills.
  • A reviewed or audited financial statement from a certified public accountant.
  • An application fee ($400 for commercial licenses and $50 for residential licenses).

Do You Need Additional Contractor’s Licenses?

Possibly, but it depends on your line of work and where you live. For example, if you’re an electrician or plumber, you’ll want to ask your local municipal department about licensing. Each city and town in Mississippi handles it a little differently.

If you’re a general contractor, it makes sense to call your city or town too. Make sure they don’t have special requirements before you can work.

Apply to Take the License Exam

Once you complete the application form and gather materials, it’s time to take the licensing exam. The state requires that you take a Law and Business Management exam as well as your trade exam.

Once the state receives your application, they’ll send you the PSI Candidate Information Bulletin and exam registration instructions. It’s as easy as that.

Time to start studying!

Get Business Insurance

Even if you don’t get your license, explore buying business insurance. In the construction industry, you never know what can happen. Just imagine if there was an accident or injury, or if something happened to your equipment.

Be prepared by getting a general liability insurance plan and workers compensation if you have employees. Your business and its employees are worth it. Make sure you’re prepared.

Monthly payment calculations (i) do not include initial premium down payment and (ii) may vary by state, insurance provider, and nature of your business. Averages based on Q1 2020 data of 10% of our total policies sold.

Emily Thompson

Written by

Emily Thompson

I earned a B.A. in Journalism from the University of Wisconsin at Madison (go Bucky). After realizing my first job might involve carrying a police scanner at 2 am in pursuit of “newsworthy” crimes, I decided I was better suited for freelance blogging and marketing writing. Since 2010, I’ve owned my freelance writing business, EST Creative. When I’m not penning, doodling ideas, or chatting with clients, you’ll find me hiking with my husband, baby boy, and 2 mischievous mutts.

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Facebook icon
Twitter icon
LinkedIn icon

People also liked

28 November 20186-minute read

Top 3 Social Channels & Apps for Your Small Business

Even if you’ve been a business owner for years, the internet has changed drastically in the way social media is used to boost a brand’s…

Read more

26 July 20188-minute read

How to Pick the Best Small Business Credit Card for You

Access to capital is often one of the biggest financial concerns for any small business, and small business credit cards are a popular…

Read more
Business InsuranceGeneral Liability InsuranceContractors InsuranceCleaners InsuranceHandyman InsuranceHome Improvement Contractor InsuranceJanitorial InsuranceLandscaping InsuranceLawn Care InsurancePainters InsurancePhotographers InsurancePlumbing Contractors InsuranceSelf-Employed Insurance

Simply Business1 Beacon Street, 15th FloorBoston, MA02108

Terms & ConditionsPrivacy Policy

*Harborway Insurance policies are underwritten by Spinnaker Insurance Company and reinsured by Munich Re, an A+ (Superior) rated reinsurance carrier by A.M. Best. Harborway Insurance is a trade name of Simply Business, Inc., which is a licensed insurance producer in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

© Copyright 2020 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business, Inc. is a licensed insurance producer in all U.S. States and the District of Columbia. Simply Business has its registered office at Simply Business, 1 Beacon Street, 15th Floor, Boston, MA, 02108. In the state of California, we operate under the name Simply Business Insurance Agency, Inc., License #0M20593. In the state of New York we operate under the name Simply Business Insurance Agency. In the state of Texas we operate under the name, U.S. Simply Business, Inc. For more information, please refer to our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions.