Simply Business homepage
Call Us(844) 654-7272
Get a QuoteSign In

How to Get a Wisconsin Contractor License

4-minute read

Contractor working using a table saw and marking wooden board with pencil
Stephanie Knapp

Stephanie Knapp

23 December 2021

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

So you’ve decided to set up your handyman business - now what? We’ve got the lowdown on getting your general contractor license in Wisconsin.

You’ve spent years working on construction or handyman projects. You’ve decided to start your own business. You may even already have a name picked out. So can you start advertising your services and signing your first customers? Not yet. We know you’re excited, but there are a few steps you need to take before your new venture is official (and legal).

Does Wisconsin Require a Contractor License?

If you want to make money through your general contracting business, you need a Wisconsin contractor license. It’s a must-have, not a nice-to-have.

Much like your driving license, a business license holds everyone to the same standards of experience and knowledge. You wouldn’t send someone who's never picked up a hammer to take on a major building project, would you? The state of Washington certainly doesn’t want to, so there are experience and exam requirements in place.

Having Wisconsin contractor laws in place protects:

  • Consumers from wildly under-experienced contractors
  • The reputation of general contracting as a whole
  • Reputable contractors being underpriced by people who know very little

Business insurance is another requirement to get your contractor license. By having general liability insurance, you won’t be stripped of everything you own to pay for property damage or bodily injury. Accidents can happen, but they don’t have to drain your personal bank account.

Does a Handyman Need a License in Wisconsin?

Yes, you’ll need a Wisconsin Dwelling Contractor Qualifier license. Read on to learn what's required and how to apply.

Applying for a WI Contractor’s License?

You may need to show proof of business insurance to get your license.

That’s where we come in. Compare free insurance quotes for policies as low as $19.58/month.*

Start Here >

How do I Get my Contractors License in Wisconsin?

If the thought of jumping through government hoops to finally start your handyman business seems daunting, we understand. We don’t know anyone who fills out applications for fun. However, the process is much easier to manage when you take it one step at a time. Also, keep in mind that you don’t have to get all of this done in a single day.

How Much is a Contractor License in Wisconsin?

There are application fees, renewal fees, as well as the cost of training courses. We break them out in the following sections.

1. Check specialty license requirements or applications.

The steps in this guide are focused on getting a Wisconsin contractor license, but we need to take a quick detour. If you plan on working on specialty projects, even just sometimes, you may have different license requirements.

The specialty contractor licenses in the state are:

The steps in the licensing procedure are mainly the same between general and specialty contractors, but exams may vary. If you’re unsure which license you should apply for, reach out to the State of Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services at 608-266-2112.

2. Take an approved Wisconsin contractor qualifier course.

Getting a Wisconsin license is a little bit like a video game. There are different levels and paths you can choose to follow. The first step in your quest is to take an approved qualifier course. Wisconsin wants all of its contractors to know their stuff, so you need to take 12 hours’ worth of classes from one of these course providers. Once you’ve earned your 12 hours, you have a year to move on to the next step.

3. Apply for a qualifier certificate.

Before you can apply for your official general contractor license in Wisconsin, you need a qualifier certificate. This is essentially a way to check and formalize that you finished the 12 hours of required learning. Applying is simple, and the certificate is good for two years.

To apply, simply send:

  • Your filled out application
  • $15 application fee and $30 credential fee
  • Proof of completed approved course

To 4822 Madison Yards Way, Madison, WI 53705.

4. Choose your license level.

After you’ve received your Dwelling Contractor certification, you can move on to applying for your general contractor license. At this step, you have two options for what type of license you want to apply for.

The Dwelling Contractor Restricted license is perfect for contractors who will work on smaller projects. The license:

  • Doesn’t have a general liability insurance requirement
  • Requires a Wisconsin contractor license bond between $5,000 and $25,000
  • Restricts the project size a contractor can work on to $25,000 or lower

On the other hand, the Dwelling Contractor license is unlimited in terms of project size. General contractors with this license:

  • Can work on larger value projects
  • Will need additional insurance
  • Must have a bond of at LEAST $25,000

The license you choose is entirely up to you, and one isn’t necessarily better than the other. If you know you only work on small one-off projects, then the restricted license with lower financial obligations may be the right choice. However, if you know you want to work up to large, long-term projects, you’re safer choosing the unrestricted license.

5. Get your paperwork in order.

The two types of contractor licenses may have different project limits. Still, the documents you’ll need before applying are mostly the same. Here’s what your application will ask for:

Business representative. The person who is applying needs to be an owner, partner, chairman of the board, or CEO of the company. Basically, you can’t use an employee to qualify your business.

Worker’s compensation insurance. This requirement doesn’t apply to you if you’re a sole proprietor. However, an employer has to have worker’s compensation insurance. No matter the business structure, you’ll have to sign that you’re in compliance.

Unemployment insurance. This is another requirement for companies with employees. This handbook helps you determine what coverage you need.

Bond. Wisconsin wants to make sure that each contracting company can be held responsible for incomplete work. Your company needs to prove financial responsibility, which often comes from a bond. As a reminder, restricted licenses need a bond for the highest value contract they will have, up to $25,000. Companies that will have projects above $25,000 need an unrestricted license and a larger bond.

General liability insurance. This last requirement only applies to unrestricted licenses. Coverage of at least $250,000 is required for bodily injury or property damage.

6. Submit application.

The previous step had all the hard work, and now it’s time to gather your forms and submit your application. Here’s what you’ll need to send to the state to apply for licensure:

  • Completed application for a Restricted or Unrestricted license
  • Business representative information
  • Proof of applicable employee insurance and/or general liability insurance
  • Proof of bond
  • $15 application fee and $25 credential fee

You can submit everything online or send copies to:

Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services 4822 Madison Yards Way Madison, WI 53705

7. Renew your license every year.

Both license levels are good for one year and need to be renewed annually. Each year you’ll go through a similar process as you did to apply by sending an application and supporting documents online or to the department via mail. There’s also an annual fee.

If you still have some Wisconsin contractor questions unanswered, check out the state’s Department of Safety and Professional Services website.

If you still need to get general liability and worker’s comp insurance before you can apply, get a contractor's insurance quote to ensure you’re covered.

*Monthly payment calculations (i) do not include initial premium down payment and (ii) may vary by state, insurance provider, and nature of your business. Averages based on January - March 2023 data of 10% of our total policies sold.

Stephanie Knapp

Written by

Stephanie Knapp

I'm a freelance writer who has always had an interest in entrepreneurship, starting way back with lemonade stands. These days I write to help business owners with their everyday challenges and choices. When I'm not typing away, you'll find me eating pizza, volunteering at the animal shelter, or taking too many pictures of my cats.

Stephanie writes on a number of topics such as state insurance regulations, business licenses, and small business administration.

This content is for general, informational purposes only and is not intended to provide legal, tax, accounting, or financial advice. Please obtain expert advice from industry specific professionals who may better understand your business’s needs. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn


Business InsuranceGeneral Liability InsuranceWorkers Compensation InsuranceProfessional Liability InsuranceErrors & Omissions InsuranceSole Proprietors Workers CompensationCyber InsuranceSelf-Employed Insurance


Contractors InsuranceCleaners InsuranceE-commerce InsuranceHandyman InsuranceHome Improvement Contractor InsuranceLandscaping InsuranceLawn Care InsurancePhotographers Insurance


About usContact UsCareersSite MapInsurance Providers


General BusinessProtect Your BusinessStart Your Business


Simply Business1 Beacon Street, 15th FloorBoston, MA02108


Terms & ConditionsPrivacy PolicyPrivacy Notice for CA ResidentsDo Not Sell or Share My Personal Information (CA Residents)Responsible Disclosure Policy

*Harborway Insurance policies are underwritten by Spinnaker Insurance Company and reinsured by Munich Re, an A+ (Superior) rated insurance carrier by AM Best. Harborway Insurance is a brand name of Harborway Insurance Agency, LLC, a licensed insurance producer in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. California license #6004217.

© Copyright 2023 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business, LLC is a licensed insurance producer in all U.S. States and the District of Columbia. Simply Business has its registered office at Simply Business, 1 Beacon Street, 15th Floor, Boston, MA, 02108. In California, we operate under the name Simply Business Insurance Agency, LLC, License #0M20593. In Colorado, we operate under the name Simply Business, LLC DBA Simply Business Insurance Agency. In New York, we operate under the name Simply Business Insurance Agency. In Pennsylvania, we operate under the name Simply Business Insurance Agency, LLC. In Texas, we operate under the name, U.S. Simply Business, LLC. For more information, please refer to our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions.